our vision, mission, and objectives
La Fab is a non-profit solidarity cooperative.
To be recognized as a viable and dynamic artists’ co-operative serving as a catalyst for the cultural development of the MRC des Collines-de-l’Outaouais
To provide artists and artisans with a place to create and exhibit their work; to serve as a platform for raising public awareness of the arts, culture and heritage; and to be a centre for the community’s artistic education and development.
Contribute to the development of the arts in the MRC des Collines-de-l’Outaouais by managing an art gallery, a boutique and artists’ studios
Support artists and artisans by giving them a place to express their creativity and showcase their creations
Hold exhibitions, cultural events and creative workshops to raise community awareness of the arts, culture and heritage
Provide educational activities to young people to develop their artistic knowledge and talents
Create partnerships with Chelsea and its surroundings schools, cultural organizations and community groups to stimulate the artistic, cultural and heritage life in the MRC des Collines-de-l’Outaouais
Organize a variety of fundraising events to increase La Fab revenues in order to ensure its economic viability
There has been a rectory on our site for a long time. The first rectory was built in the early 1850's and was destroyed in 1890, the existing building was built in 1896 and is the one you see today.
The rectory was home to many priests who served the congregations over the years. Some of the priests who lived here and served the parish were Father Stanton in the 1930's as well as Father Brennan who served for 19 years. Father Mooney (whose sister was the housekeeper) also served for a period in the Parish.
In the back of the rectory there is a stable which housed the three horses which were used by the Priests to get about the parish. Their names, Peggy, Flash and Tammy are still over the stable stalls today.
Next to the rectory there used to be a lovely school for the children of the community who were taught by the Nuns of St. Joseph's Convent whose home was in Pembroke. That school was demolished and replaced by today's MRC des Collines building.